resources / Statutes / Nonprofit Corporations / §10-2052
Title 10 – Corporations and Associations
Chapter 19 – Not for Profit Corporations and associations, Cooperatives and Fraternal and Benevolent societies
Article 2 – Electric Cooperative Nonprofit Membership Corporations
- A. Cooperative nonprofit membership corporations may be organized under this article for any of the following purposes:
- 1. Supplying, purchasing, marketing, selling, transmitting or distributing electric energy to persons and promoting and extending the use of electric energy.
- 2. Providing billing, metering, communications and other services related or incidental to supplying, providing or transmitting electric energy, whether or not the cooperative is itself supplying or transmitting that energy.
- 3. Engaging in activities designed to promote economic development of rural areas as described in section 10-2057.
- 4. Engaging in activities for any lawful purpose.
- 5. Directly or through an affiliate, providing broadband service to areas in which the cooperative provides electric energy services.
- B. In a rural area where there is no telephone service, a cooperative that is supplying electric energy in the area may enter into a cooperative agreement with the existing holder of a certificate of convenience and necessity for telephone service in the general area to supply telephone service in the same area.
- C. Generation and transmission cooperatives as defined in article 4 of this chapter are subject to article 4 of this chapter and not to this article.