resources / Statutes / Condominiums / §33-1206
Title 33 – Property
Chapter 9 – Condominiums
Article 1 – General Provisions
- A. If a unit is acquired by eminent domain, or if part of a unit is acquired by eminent domain leaving the unit owner with a remnant which may not practically or lawfully be used for any purpose permitted by the declaration, the award must compensate the unit owner for his unit and its interest in the common elements, regardless of whether any common elements are acquired. On acquisition, unless the decree otherwise provides, that unit’s allocated interests are automatically reallocated to the remaining units in proportion to the respective allocated interests of those units before the taking, and the association shall promptly prepare, execute and record an amendment to the declaration reflecting the reallocations. Any remnant of a unit remaining after part of a unit is taken under this subsection becomes a common element.
- B. Except as provided in subsection A of this section, if part of a unit is acquired by eminent domain the award must compensate the unit owner for the reduction in value of the unit and its interest in the common elements, regardless of whether any common elements are acquired. On acquisition, unless the decree otherwise provides, all of the following apply:
- 1. The unit’s allocated interests are reduced in proportion to the reduction in the size of the unit or on any other basis specified in the declaration.
- 2. The portion of the allocated interests divested from the partially acquired unit is automatically reallocated to that unit and the remaining units in proportion to the respective allocated interests of those units before the taking, with the partially acquired unit participating in the reallocation on the basis of its reduced allocated interests.
- C. If part of the common elements is acquired by eminent domain, the portion of the award attributable to the common elements taken shall be paid to the association for the benefit of the unit owners. Unless the declaration provides otherwise, any portion of the award attributable to the acquisition of a limited common element shall be equally divided among the owners of the units to which that limited common element was allocated at the time of acquisition.
- D. The court decree shall be recorded in every county in which any portion of the condominium is located.
- E. If all of the units of the condominium are acquired by eminent domain, the condominium is terminated and the provisions of section 33-1228 apply.
- F. This section does not restrict the rights of lessees, mortgagees, declarants or any other person holding an interest in a unit or its common elements from receiving separate compensation or a portion of the compensation payable, or both, pursuant to this section.