resources / Statutes / Condominiums / §33-1242

Title 33 – Property

Chapter 9 – Condominiums

Article 3 – Management of the Condominium

A. Subject to the provisions of the declaration, the association may:

1. Adopt and amend bylaws and rules.

2. Adopt and amend budgets for revenues, expenditures and reserves and collect assessments for common expenses from unit owners.

3. Hire and discharge managing agents and other employees, agents and independent contractors.

4. Institute, defend or intervene in litigation or administrative proceedings in its own name on behalf of itself or two or more unit owners on matters affecting the condominium.

5. Make contracts and incur liabilities.

6. Regulate the use, maintenance, repair, replacement and modification of common elements.

7. Cause additional improvements to be made as a part of the common elements.

8. Acquire, hold, encumber and convey in its own name any right, title or interest to real or personal property, except that common elements may be conveyed or subjected to a security interest only pursuant to section 33-1252.

9. Grant easements, leases, licenses and concessions through or over the common elements.

10. Impose and receive any payments, fees or charges for the use, rental or operation of the common elements other than limited common elements described in section 33-1212, paragraphs 2 and 4 and for services provided to unit owners.

11. Impose charges for late payment of assessments after the association has provided notice that the assessment is overdue or provided notice that the assessment is considered overdue after a certain date and, after notice and an opportunity to be heard, impose reasonable monetary penalties on unit owners for violations of the declaration, bylaws and rules of the association.

12. Impose reasonable charges for the preparation and recordation of amendments to the declaration or statements of unpaid assessments.

13. Provide for the indemnification of its officers and executive board of directors and maintain directors’ and officers’ liability insurance.

14. Assign its right to future income, including the right to receive common expense assessments, but only to the extent the declaration expressly provides.

15. Be a member of a master association or other entity owning, maintaining or governing in any respect any portion of the common elements or other property benefitting or related to the condominium or the unit owners in any respect.

16. Exercise any other powers conferred by the declaration or bylaws.

17. Exercise all other powers that may be exercised in this state by legal entities of the same type as the association.

18. Exercise any other powers necessary and proper for the governance and operation of the association.

B. A unit owner who receives a written notice that the condition of the property owned by the unit owner is in violation of a requirement of the condominium documents without regard to whether a monetary penalty is imposed by the notice may provide the association with a written response by sending the response by certified mail within twenty-one calendar days after the date of the notice.  The response shall be sent to the address identified in the notice.

C. Within ten business days after receipt of the certified mail containing the response from the unit owner, the association shall respond to the unit owner with a written explanation regarding the notice that shall provide at least the following information unless previously provided in the notice of violation:

1. The provision of the condominium documents that has allegedly been violated.

2. The date of the violation or the date the violation was observed.

3. The first and last name of the person or persons who observed the violation.

4. The process the unit owner must follow to contest the notice.

D. Unless the information required in subsection C, paragraph 4 of this section is provided in the notice of violation, the association shall not proceed with any action to enforce the condominium documents, including the collection of attorney fees, before or during the time prescribed by subsection C of this section regarding the exchange of information between the association and the unit owner and shall give the unit owner written notice of the unit owner’s option to petition for an administrative hearing on the matter in the state real estate department pursuant to section  32-2199.01.  At any time before or after completion of the exchange of information pursuant to this section, the unit owner may petition for a hearing pursuant to section 32-2199.01 if the dispute is within the jurisdiction of the state real estate department as prescribed in section 32-2199.01.