resources / Statutes / Condominiums / §33-1255
Title 33 – Property
Chapter 9 – Condominiums
Article 3 – Management of the Condominium
- A. Until the association makes a common expense assessment, the declarant shall pay all common expenses. After any assessment has been made by the association, assessments shall be made at least annually, based on a budget adopted at least annually by the association.
- B. Except for assessments under subsections C, D, E and F of this section, all common expenses shall be assessed against all the units in accordance with the allocations set forth in the declaration pursuant to section 33-1217, subsection A. Any past due common expense assessment or installment bears interest at the rate established by the board subject to the condominium documents.
- C. Unless otherwise provided for in the declaration all of the following apply:
- 1. Any common expense associated with the maintenance, repair or replacement of a limited common element shall be equally assessed against the units to which the limited common element is assigned.
- 2. Any common expense or portion of a common expense benefitting fewer than all of the units shall be assessed exclusively against the units benefitted.
- D. Assessments to pay a judgment against the association may be made only against the units in the condominium at the time the judgment was entered, in proportion to their common expense liabilities.
- E. If any common expense is caused by the misconduct of any unit owner, the association may assess that expense exclusively against that unit.
- F. If the declaration so provides, the common expense assessment for any unit on which construction has not been substantially completed may be an amount which is not less than twenty-five per cent of the common expense assessment for units which have been substantially completed. However, this reduced common expense assessment shall not be permitted, unless the declarant is obligated under the declaration to pay to the association any deficiency in monies due to the declarant having paid a reduced common assessment and necessary for the association to be able to timely pay all common expenses.
- G. If common expense liabilities are reallocated, common expense assessments and any installment on the assessments not yet due shall be recalculated in accordance with the reallocated common expense liabilities.
- H. This section does not apply to timeshare plans or associations that are subject to chapter 20 of this title.