Title 38 – Property – Real and Personal
Article 33.3 – Colorado Common Interest Ownership Act
Large planned communities – exemption from certain requirements
38-33.3-116.3. Large planned communities – exemption from certain requirements
(1) A planned community shall be exempt from the provisions of this article as specified in subsection (3) of this section or as specifically exempted in any other provision of this article, if, at the time of recording the affidavit required pursuant to subsection (2) of this section, the real estate upon which the planned community is created meets both of the following requirements:
(b) It is approved for development of at least five hundred residential units, excluding any interval estates, time-share estates, or time-span estates but including any interval units created pursuant to sections 38-33-110 and 38-33-111, and at least twenty thousand square feet of commercial use.
(2) For an exemption authorized in subsection (1) of this section to apply, the property must be zoned within each county in which any part of such parcel is located, and the owner of the parcel shall record with the county clerk and recorder of each county in which any part of such parcel is located an affidavit setting forth the following:
(b) A statement that the party signing the affidavit is the owner of the parcel in its entirety in fee simple, excluding mineral interests;
(d) The zoning classification of the parcel, with a certified copy of applicable zoning regulations attached; and
(3) A large planned community for which an affidavit has been filed pursuant to subsection (2) of this section shall be exempt from the following provisions of this article:
(4) Section 38-33.3-217 (4) shall be applicable as follows: Except to the extent expressly permitted or required by other provisions of this article, no amendment may create or increase special declarant rights, increase the number of units or the allocated interests of a unit, or the uses to which any unit is restricted, in the absence of unanimous consent of the unit owners.
(a) The exemption authorized by this section shall continue for the large planned community so long as the owner signing the affidavit is the owner of the real estate described in subsection (2) of this section; except that:
(I) Upon the sale, conveyance, or other transfer of any portion of the real estate within the large planned community, the portion sold, conveyed, or transferred shall become subject to all the provisions of this article;
(II) Any common interest community created on some but not all of the real estate within the large planned community shall be created pursuant to this article; and
(III) When a planned community no longer qualifies as a large planned community, as described in subsection (1) of this section, the exemptions authorized by this section shall no longer be applicable.
(6) The association established for a large planned community shall operate with respect to large planned community-wide matters and shall not otherwise operate as the exclusive unit owners’ association with respect to any unit.
(7) The association established for a large planned community shall keep in its principal office and make reasonably available to all unit owners, unit owners’ authorized agents, and prospective purchasers of units a complete legal description of all common elements within the large planned community.
Source: L. 94: Entire section added, p. 2845, § 2, effective July 1. L. 95: IP(1), (1)(b), (1)(c), and (5) amended and (7) added, p. 236, § 2, effective July 1.