Title 38 – Property – Real and Personal
Article 33.3 – Colorado Common Interest Ownership Act
Extension of declaration term
38-33.3-120.5. Extension of declaration term
(1) If a common interest community has a declaration in effect with a limited term of years that was recorded prior to July 1, 1992, and if, before the term of the declaration expires, the unit owners in the common interest community have not amended the declaration pursuant to section 38-33.3-120 and in accordance with any conditions or fixed limitations described in the declaration, the declaration may be extended as provided in this section.
(2) The term of the declaration may be extended:
(a) If the executive board adopts a resolution recommending that the declaration be extended for a specific term not to exceed twenty years and directs that the question of extending the term of the declaration be submitted to the unit owners, as members of the association; and
(3) Except for the extension of the term of a declaration as authorized by this section, no other provision of a declaration may be amended pursuant to the provisions of this section.
(4) For any meeting of unit owners at which a vote is to be taken on a proposed extension of the term of a declaration as provided in this section, the secretary or other officer specified in the bylaws shall provide written notice to each unit owner entitled to vote at the meeting stating that the purpose, or one of the purposes, of the meeting is to consider extending the term of the declaration. The notice shall be given in the time and manner specified in section 38-33.3-308 or in the articles of incorporation, declaration, bylaws, or other governing documents of the association.
(5) The extension of the declaration, if approved, shall be included in an amendment to the declaration and shall be executed, acknowledged, and recorded by the association in the records of the clerk and recorder of each county in which any portion of the common interest community is located. The amendment shall include:
(b) A statement that the association has elected to extend the term of the declaration pursuant to this section and the term of the approved extension;
(c) A statement that indicates that the executive board has adopted a resolution recommending that the declaration be extended for a specific term not to exceed twenty years, that sets forth the date of the meeting at which the unit owners elected to extend the term of the declaration, and that declares that the extension was authorized by a vote or agreement of unit owners of units to which at least sixty-seven percent of the votes in the association are allocated or any larger percentage the declaration specifies;
(6) Upon the recording of the amendment required by subsection (5) of this section, and subject to the provisions of this section, a common interest community is subject to all provisions of the declaration, as amended.
Source: L. 98: Entire section added, p. 478, § 3, effective July 1.