resources / Statutes / Planned Communities / §33-1802
Title 33 – Property
Chapter 16 – Planned Communities
Article 1 – General Provisions
- In this chapter and in the community documents, unless the context otherwise requires:
- 1. "Association" means a nonprofit corporation or unincorporated association of owners that is created pursuant to a declaration to own and operate portions of a planned community and that has the power under the declaration to assess association members to pay the costs and expenses incurred in the performance of the association’s obligations under the declaration. Association does not include a nonprofit corporation or unincorporated association of owners that is created or incorporated before January 1, 1974 and that does not have authority to enforce covenants, conditions or restrictions related to the use, occupancy or appearance of the separately owned lots, parcels or units in a real estate development, unless the nonprofit corporation or unincorporated association of owners elects to be subject to this chapter pursuant to section 33-1801, subsection D.
- 2. "Community documents" means the declaration, bylaws, articles of incorporation, if any, and rules, if any.
- 3. "Declaration" means any instruments, however denominated, that establish a planned community and any amendment to those instruments.
- 4. "Planned community" means a real estate development that includes real estate owned and operated by or real estate on which an easement to maintain roadways or a covenant to maintain roadways is held by a nonprofit corporation or unincorporated association of owners, that is created for the purpose of managing, maintaining or improving the property and in which the declaration expressly states both that the owners of separately owned lots, parcels or units are mandatory members and that the owners are required to pay assessments to the association for these purposes. Planned community does not include any of the following:
- (a) A timeshare plan or a timeshare association that is governed by chapter 20 of this title.
- (b) A condominium that is governed by chapter 9 of this title.
- (c) A real estate development that is not managed or maintained by an association.